Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Nerdfighters

I have a new found like for the word nerd. It used to be that I hated the word and didn't think it applied to me, that I was a geek and not a nerd and how dare you think otherwise. But after all my grumblings and mumblings and vehement protests, I have come to the conclusion that nerd is not a bad thing. In fact, being a nerd is the equivalent of being made of awesome.

I have only two people to blame for this sudden and complete 180: John and Hank Green. The brothers decided last year that they were going to fore go textual communication (texting, e-mail, IM, etc.) and instead communicate via video blog (aka vlog) and phone for one year. The two created videos on alternating days (sans weekends) and posted them on YouTube to keep in touch. They inadvertently started a movement.

The nerdfighters followed the brothers loyally as each new video was posted, giving (and receiving) challenges and questions, punishments for failure (and rule breaking) and rewards for success, and fighting against world suck. When the year was up, the nerdfighters despaired, fearing that they would never again see John and Hank, but the brothers hatched a plan and decided to keep up the vlogging but, instead of every day, videos would be posted once or twice a week. Nerdfightaria rejoiced!

The vlogging continues to this day, and can be accessed via the link in the title. I suggest starting at the beginning, though, or all of the inside jokes are going to make you very confused. It's easy, when you click the link, find and click the link that says "videos", go all the way back to page 20(? i think) and watch from Jan 1, 2007. Is worth it. Trust me.

DFTBA,
Catherine

1 comment:

Stacy Hackenberg said...

See, there is something you can write about. I take it work was less than busy today. Not that I can talk....